Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A federal judge on Monday granted preliminary approval to a landmark deal that would
 A federal judge on Monday granted preliminary approval to a landmark deal that would compensate thousands of former NFL players for concussion-related claims. New England Patriots Shirts . The ruling by U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia came about two weeks after the NFL agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages. Brody had previously questioned whether that would be enough money to pay all claims. "A class action settlement that offers prompt relief is superior to the likely alternative — years of expensive, difficult, and uncertain litigation, with no assurance of recovery, while retired players physical and mental conditions continue to deteriorate," Brody wrote. More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. They include former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett and Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon, who suffers from dementia. The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and give $1 million or more to retirees who develop Lou Gehrigs disease and other profound neurological problems. "This is an extraordinary settlement for retired NFL players and their families — from those who suffer with neuro-cognitive illnesses today, to those who are currently healthy but fear they may develop symptoms decades into the future," plaintiffs attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement. NFL senior vice-president Anastasia Danias said in a statement that the league was "grateful to Judge Brody for her guidance and her thoughtful analysis of the issues as reflected in the comprehensive opinion she issued today." The original settlement included $675 million for compensatory claims for players with neurological symptoms, $75 million for baseline testing and $10 million for medical research and education. The NFL would also pay an additional $112 million to the players lawyers, for a total payout of more than $870 million. The revised settlement eliminates the cap on overall damage claims but retains a payout formula for individual retirees that considers their age and illness. A young retiree with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrigs disease, would receive $5 million, a 50-year-old with Alzheimers disease would get $1.6 million and an 80-year-old with early dementia would get $25,000. Even with the cap removed, both sides said they believe the NFL will spend no more than about $675 million on damage claims by ex-players. Critics of the deal have said the league, with annual revenues approaching $10 billion, was getting off lightly. They could raise objections at a fairness hearing scheduled for Nov. 19, and ultimately opt out of the settlement. However, they would then face the risk of a protracted legal fight, and would have to prove any injuries were caused by NFL concussions and not any suffered in youth or college sports. The proposed NFL settlement had originally barred claimants from seeking a separate settlement against the NCAA, but that clause has been removed. A separate lawsuit is pending against the NCAA in Illinois. "I think the judge has forced them to make improvements," said University of Richmond law professor Carl Tobias, who teaches product liability law. "I think she always felt she had an obligation to the players, to be sure they were getting a fair deal ... given the treatment to date." The settlement would be capped at $4 million on behalf of players diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after their deaths, such as San Diego star Junior Seau or Pro Bowler Dave Duerson. Both of their families, through lawyers, have expressed concerns about the settlement. Duerson died at age 50. A family lawyer has called their projected $2.2 million award to the family "not adequate." Wholesale Patriots Jerseys . Hes the same player he always was, only now his efforts are being rewarded. The rookie manager has made a habit of heaping praise on others when things are going well, and accepting criticism when they arent.  But in the case of Hurtado, its what the coach is NOT saying that may be the secret to a superb run of form. Patriots Jerseys 2020 .C. -- Gleason Fournier scored the shootout winner as the Grand Rapids Griffins defeated the Abbotsford Heat 4-3 Friday in American Hockey League action. https://www.patriotsjerseysale.com/ .com) - Jenny Boucek is the new head coach of the Seattle Storm. DULUTH, Ga. -- Miguel Angel Jimenez quickly shifted his focus back to the Ryder Cup after winning his first Champions Tour event. Jimenez held off Bernhard Langer to win the Greater Gwinnett Championship on Sunday, becoming only the third player to lead from start to finish in his debut on the 50-and-over tour. Jimenez, coming off a fourth-place finish in the Masters, closed with a 67 to finish two strokes ahead of Langer. Jimenez finished the tournament with 32 consecutive holes without a bogey at TPC Sugarloaf. The Spaniard said he cant make a commitment to the Champions Tour this year because his goal is making the European Ryder Cup team. "To me its not about money," Jimenez said. "Its about some different goals to make me feel proud of myself. To me I would feel nice to play on the Ryder Cup once more." Langer, the defending champion, shot his third-straight 68. Jimenez and Langer were tied at 10 under before a two-shot swing on No. 8. Jimenez needed only a short putt for a birdie, and Langer fell two strokes behind with his bogey. After that, Jimenez avoided mistakes down the stretch, leaving no opening for Langer or Jay Haas, who shot 67 and was third, four shots off the lead. Jimenez insisted the win wasnt easy. "When you hit the ball straight and you put the ball close to the hole it looks easy, but nothing is easy," he said. "You need to keep calm yourself. ... I like to feel the pressure and ... the people that are coming behind bite me." Langer said his inability to make birdie putts kept him from putting pressure on Jimenez. "I had a number of opportunities, just couldnt make any putts today," Langer said. "And he played very, very solid all day." Jimenez stretched his lead to three strokes before he showed that on this day even his mistakes brought no harm. He hit his tee shot on No. 15 into a tree -- but it bounced back into the faairway. New England Patriots Gear. From there, he hit his next shot into a bunker but still salvaged par. The win assured, Jimenez tipped his visor to the fans as he walked up the 18th fairway. He then winked and blew a kiss to a TV camera. He brought his victory cigar to his postgame press conference. "I showed my game is in very good shape now," said Jimenez, who added he isnt complaining about life at 50. "Im very happy with my age and the way Im doing," he said. "The last 15 years is when my best golf is coming. Its nice. No complaint with 50." Langer said he doesnt expect to see Jimenez on the Champions Tour again this year. "He said he wasnt going to play anymore this year because he wants ... to be the oldest European player to ever play on the Ryder Cup," Langer said. "Thats his goal. But, you know, goals can sometimes change. Who knows, maybe he makes the Ryder Cup team by July and hell decide to come out for a couple of weeks." Fred Couples, in the final group with Jimenez and Langer, shot 70 and was fourth. Langer tied for eighth and Couples tied for 20th in the Masters. Jimenez said coming out on top of the high-profile group made the win even nicer. "Of course its satisfaction," Jimenez said. "The better quality the field, the more satisfied you are with the victory. All three were playing very well in the Masters. We all were in contention. Thats nice." Steve Pate, Duffy Waldorf and David Frost tied for fifth. Willie Wood shot 66 and was in a group tied for eighth. Jimenez became the second straight player to win in his debut on the Champions Tour, following Jeff Maggert in last months Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic. Rod Funseth (1983 Hall of Fame Tournament) and Bruce Fleisher (1999 Royal Caribbean Classic) are the only other players to lead from start to finish in their first Champions Tour events. ' ' '